Suicide Prevention and Positive Mental Well-being
Polk, Norman, and Mahnomen Counties collaborate together on the suicide prevention and positive mental well-being initiatives listed below. If you have any questions, please call 218-281-3385.
|Be Well is a community based well-being initiative (adapted from LiveWell Fergus Falls and rooted in the concepts of Positive Psychology). Be Well supports health through happiness and meaning through proven resiliency tools and aims for a community that flourishes by practicing positive emotion, engagement, positive relationships, meaning and accomplishments. When we incorporate evidenced-based mental health resiliency tools (such as Kindness, Gratitude – 3 Good Things and Letters, and Social Connections) into our daily life, we will create reserves of well-being that can be drawn upon when time are tough.
Northwest Regional Suicide Prevention Coordinator
Brenna Olson, Wellness Coordinator for Polk County Public Health, and Tim Denney serve as the Northwest Regional Suicide Prevention Coordinators. Together they cover counties in Northwest Minnesota. Brenna's primary service area is Polk, Norman, Mahnomen, Marshall, Pennington, and Red Lake Counties. Tim's service area is in Kittson and Roseau Counties. Their roles are made possible through the support and funding of the Northern Minnesota Suicide Prevention Grant (30 counties in Northern MN) through the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH).
- 988 Resources Requests
- Presentation and Training Requests
- Sign up for our Mental Wellbeing Monthly Newsletter
The H.O.P.E. (Help, Outreach, Prevention and Education) Coalition was formed in Crookston, expanded into Polk County in 2019 after the community and region lost several people to death by suicide. We have most recently expanded into the eight Northwest Minnesota Counties, including Polk, Norman and Mahnomen Counties.
The coalition is comprised of individuals, businesses and agencies committed to ending death by suicide in Northwest Minnesota through HOPE.
- Zero Death by Suicide
- Increase Outreach and Education Activities
- Increase Awareness of how each individual in Northwest Minnesota can access services
In the darkest times, there is ALWAYS HOPE!
For more information on trainings, events, resources and how to get involved, visit: mnhopecoalition.org
- 988 Suicide &Crisis Lifeline If you or someone you know needs support now, call or text 988 or chat 988lifeline.org
- Crisis Text Line Text MN to 741741
- Minnesota Day One hotline for domestic or sexual violence 1-866-223-1111
- National Parent Helpline 1-855-427-2736
- Postpartum Support International Helpline 1-800-944-4773
- NW8 Adult Mental Health Initiative