Credentials to Perform Marriages


In addition to specific court officials and others authorized by state law in Minnesota to perform civil marriages, a licensed or ordained minister of any religious denomination (officiant) may solemnize civil marriages within the state. Before doing so, a copy of the officiant's credentials of license or ordination must be filed with the local marriage registrar of any county in Minnesota. If the religious denomination does not issue credentials, authority from the minister’s spiritual assembly may be filed with the local marriage registrar. For a complete copy of Minnesota Statutes Chapter 517, visit the website of the Minnesota Legislature.