First Time Permits
If a first time permit is being applied for you need to present two forms of Identification. The most common would be a Certified Birth Certificate and a social security card (unlaminated). A complete list of acceptable forms of identification is can be obtained in the office or online on the Department of Public Safety's website.
Applying & Obtaining a Permit
Review the following for information on how to apply and obtain your instruction permit:
- Applicants under 18 years of age must have parent or legal guardian’s signature notarized on application.
- Current fee information for an Instruction Permit is available at Driver & Vehicle Services (DVS)
- Instruction permits are valid for 2 years.
- Submit your valid test score sheet or current permit. If replacing a lost or stolen permit, we can verify your identity in the state's computer system.
- Take photo
- A vision test must be taken