If the person was born outside of Minnesota, visit the National Center for Health Statistics for more information about ordering certificates from another state.
The following information is available:
- Certified birth certificates for the entire state of Minnesota from 1935 to the present
- Birth records from 1875 to present (approximately) for the County of Polk
Additional Proof of Identity
Certified birth certificates are required to provide additional proof of identity to do things like register for school, travel, or obtain a driver's license or passport. To receive a certified birth certificate, you must have proof of tangible interest in the subject. Non-certified birth certificates are available for informational use only (for example, genealogical research) and are provided without tangible interest. Certificates may be obtained by mail or in person.
Fees are as follows:
- $26 one copy
- $19 each additional copy of same certificate.
- $13 per copy
- $6 each additional copy of same certificate.
Review the following processing times:
- By mail, applications are usually processed the same day as they are received so it only takes the mailing time to receive the certificate.
- In person, applications take only a few minutes to complete and process.
Please review the following regarding walk-in requests:
- Certified: You will be required to complete and sign an application stating that you have tangible interest in the subject. You will need to provide identification, such as a driver's license, and then you will then receive the certified birth certificate in minutes.
- Non-certified: You will need to complete an application. You will need to provide identification only if you are requesting a confidential record or are the mother requesting a record with health information. You will receive the non-certified birth certificate in minutes.
Information For Requests by Mail:
Review the following for information on how to request by mail:
- Certified: Print and complete Certified Birth Certificate Application (PDF), have your signature on the form notarized.
- Non-certified: Print and complete Non-certified Birth Record Transcript Application (PDF), have your signature on the form notarized only if you are requesting a confidential record or are the mother requesting a record with health information.
Enclose check or money order payable to: Polk County Recorder
Polk County Recorder
P.O. Box 397
Crookston, MN 56716